Top Aftercare Tips for Human Hair Extensions
If you already have human hair extensions or you are thinking about getting them soon, this article is for you. These types of extensions require special attention and aftercare. While it is human hair and you’ve been taking care of that all of your life, there are some key differences. First of all, we highly recommend using the HairPlanet’s aftercare line. The Aftercare Kit has everything you need to get started including Hair Extension Shampoo, Hair Extension Conditioner, and a Leave-in Protein Therapy Treatment. Hair extensions can last up to 3 months with continuous use if they are applied professionally and maintained correctly. Now that we’ve gotten that out of the way, we’ll discuss the other top aftercare tips for human hair extensions!
Washing, Drying, & Styling
This first thing you might be curious about is washing your new extensions. We recommend washing your hair 2-3 times per week and no more. It’s a good idea to use a wide-tooth comb to separate the bonds and detangle the extensions before going in the shower. It’s best to wash your hair with your head upright, so a shower works best. Using a shampoo and conditioner made for hair extensions is a crucial step. Don’t skip out on this part! Shampoo gently and only apply conditioner from the mid-length down. The conditioner could cause the bonds to slip so it’s a good idea to avoid that area.
When drying your hair, support the extensions while you comb through them. We recommend using a leave-in protein spray in order to make this process easier. You can blow dry your hair and use other heat applications such as a curling iron, straightening iron, and heat rollers. You can also use styling products like hairspray and gels, just make sure they stay away from the bonds.
• Washing gently using only hair extension shampoo and condition.
• Detangle carefully using a wide-tooth comb before and after washing.
• Dry as normal
• Style as normal but avoid using products near the bonds
While human hair extensions look incredible and feel like your natural hair, they do require special maintenance and aftercare. We’ve discussed the main styling tips above, now we’re going to talk about general aftercare tips for human hair extensions.
• Do not wash your hair for at least 5 days after having your extensions fitted.
• We recommend not going swimming but if you do place your extensions into a braid using a covered band. Avoid getting them wet.
• While heat items like blow dryers and straightening irons are okay, the more heat you use on the hair extension the shorter the life span of the hair.
• Do not colour, tint, or perm the extension hair.
• When brushing the extensions always hold the bonds, making sure no additional stress is put on the hair.
• If you use a sunbed or tanning bed, wrap the hair in a towel first to protect it.